Key Points about the Sara-Jane Stackpole Legacy Society
1. The Sara-Jane Stackpole Legacy Society will be a listing of those who have named the Elk County Community Foundation as the beneficiary of any type of planned or deferred gift and who choose to be listed. The purpose is to develop a large list that will encourage others to do the same.
2. The Sara-Jane Stackpole Legacy Society membership will be self-reported. We know individuals who have included the Elk County Community Foundation in their estate plans, but who choose to remain anonymous. Thus, they cannot be members of the Society.
3. Joining the Sara-Jane Stackpole Legacy Society requires two steps. First, arrange for a planned gift in favor of the Foundation. Second, inform the Foundation by submitting the Sara-Jane Stackpole Legacy Society form. Sara-Jane Stackpole Legacy Society forms will be available through most Elk County attorneys and financial planners or from the Foundation office.
4. There is no minimum amount needed in the gift to qualify. It is necessary only that you have made the arrangements and are willing to be listed.
5. Sara-Jane Stackpole Legacy Society members may designate the use of the distributions from their future gifts, or may leave the distributions to the discretion of ECCF’s Board of Directors. A Sara-Jane Stackpole Legacy Society gift may be used to establish a new Named Fund (if the size requirements are met) or may be added to any of the Foundation’s existing funds. New named funds can be established in advance to support one or more organization of the donor’s choice.
6. We do not ask how much is being left to the Foundation. We encourage donors to discuss their gifts with us to make sure we can comply with their wishes, but this is not mandatory.
7. Gifts under a will are the most common method used to leave a gift to ECCF. However, we also know of people who have made Foundations the beneficiary of 401K/IRA plans or insurance policies, established a charitable trust in favor of a Foundation, signed a deferred pledge and/or used other methods. Any of these will qualify a person or couple for membership in the Society.
8. We will list the Sara-Jane Stackpole Legacy Society members in all of our publications including our Annual Report, website, newsletter, ads in newspapers and event programs. Each listing will hopefully bring new inquiries and new members.
9. We hope to hold a special reception for Sara-Jane Stackpole Legacy Society members each year, and Society members are invited to all other Foundation events as well.
10. Finally … There are many not-for-profit organizations and programs worthy of consideration and support, but the “ultimate philanthropy” is the Community Foundation which can designate many organizations as grant recipients. Gifts supporting the Elk County Community Foundation will ensure our ability to create a better future for our community.